CEEB Code: 391956
Superintendent: Mrs. Amy Arcurio
Building Principal: Mr. Michael Dadey
Assistant Principal: Mr. Kurt Hoffman
Vocational Director/Principal: Mr. Frank Frontino
School Counselors: Kirby Deater, Megan Zadzilko, & Danielle Hardison
The Greater Johnstown School District serves the educational needs of the City of Johnstown, three surrounding townships, and parts of Geistown Borough. The District is a combination of rural and small town areas, and encompasses approximately 23 square miles of approximately 3.3% of the area of Cambria County.
Currently, the district consists of one high school, one middle school, and one elementary school. Total district enrollment is approximately 3,100 students. The student body is culturally diverse with a population that is 52% white, 30% African American and the remaining groups, Hispanic (3%), Asian Pacific Islander, American Indian and/or Multi-Racial (15%), equaling 18%.
The Greater Johnstown High School is a comprehensive five-year public high school enrolling approximately 1100 students in grades 8 through 12. The new high school complex opened in the Fall of 2004 and consists of four separate academies. They are:
- The 8th Grade Success Academy, considered a school within a school, is designed to help students grow academically and socially, so that they may succeed in their chosen pathways.
- Grades 9-12 consists of three academies; Arts and Communication, Engineering & Manufacturing Technology and Health & Human Services.
- There are 12 Vocational Program of Studies
GPA calculation will be based on final grade percentages for classes taken in grades 9-12.
- For Advanced Placement courses, an extra 20% grade percentage. (ex. Final grade 92% plus 20%= 112% for QPA calculation purposes)
- Dual Enrollment at PHCC = 20% additional weighting
- Dual Enrollment at 4 year university or college = 25% additional weighting.
- A - 93-100%
- B - 82-92%
- C - 70-81%
- D - 60 - 69%
- F - 0-59%
- 4 Units English
- 4 Units Mathematics
- 3 Units Science
- 4 Units Social Studies
- 1 Unit Strategic Reading / English Composition
- 1 Unit Freshman Wellness
- 1 Unit Personal Finance
- 8 Units Academy Electives